Monday, May 16, 2005

Fortune Cookie Laws

I've always wondered how the fortune-cookie-makers come up with the things in fortune cookies.
I wonder if there's a list of "Don'ts" for fortune-writers. Like:

DON'T SELL MORE CHINESE FOOD
"You will live longer if you eat healthy Chinese food"
"Using chopsticks helps ease carpal-tunnel syndrome"

DON'T MANIPULATE THE STOCK MARKET
"Sell all your Microsoft and CocaCola shares today"

DON'T SCARE A PERSON TO DEATH
"If you see the color red in the next 20 seconds, you will die soon"

A lot of fortune cookies don't have fortunes in them. Just statements of fact:
"You have many warm and loving friends" or advice "Laughter is good for you".
So, there isn't any fortune cookie law that it has to actually be a fortune.

It seems there aren't really any fortune cookie laws, just general guidelines that a fortune cookie should attempt to make the person reading it feel a little bit more happy or optimistic after reading it.

I'm glad I sorted this out, in case I ever become a fortune cookie writer.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kyra said...

I always thought they should be called "statement cookies"... ^_^

May 17, 2005 11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home