Tuesday, February 07, 2006

All that jazz

KCSM just finished their winter fundraiser and amazingly made $400,000! I'm glad they're able to keep going since it's practically impossible to find jazz anywhere else. Even in LA where they have a station called KJAZZ, when I tune in on the weekends it's usually Blues and old rock from the 50's. And in Florida- well, it's about as easy as finding sushi.
I've been listening to jazz as long as I can remember, though I didn't always know what it was- lots of jazz on the radio in the early 60s, which I went to sleep by as a little kid. Then when I was a young teenager I sang a lot to myself with sounds instead of words, and my mom told me it was called "scatting" and got me an Ella Fitzgerald record so I could hear how it was done. Then in High School I played the trumpet in a local community band filled with middle-aged men, and we had fun playing Li'l Darlin and Satin Doll and a bunch of Dixieland.
But it wasn't until Kyra was in High School and all her friends were in the Gunn Jazz Band that I started listening to KCSM. Someone she knew was listening to it, so she turned it on one time when we were in the car- and I've kept the car radio preset to that station ever since. (Even when I got a new car.)
One adverse effect of listening to them all the time is that one of their main underwriters is SEES Candies, and I have to say I've definitely had the urge to run out and eat a few SEES from listening to them being mentioned on the radio. Tastey, but not REALLY, strictly speaking, good for me.
I'll try to keep this blog more up-to-date, and I'll have other things to write about-much sooner than 6 months from now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home