Monday, June 26, 2006

Me and my dictionary

I've been having fun with my Treo 650, which does about everything. Lately I downloaded the Oxford American Dictionary onto it (My favorite dictionary!) and I've been looking up random words I see as I go around town.
The first thing that struck me was car names. There is a Cadillac SUV called the "Escalade". Typing that into my handy dictionary gave me the following definition:

Escalade: n. historical. the scaling of fortified walls using ladders, as a form of military attack

Did they know what they were naming their car?!?! What does that have to do with a Cadillac SUV? The imagination can run wild trying to fit those two things together!

So I started looking at cars more and really noticing their names. And what did I see? They've started naming cars after colors! There's the Sienna, and the Cobalt... Someone in the car world must've had a nostalic moment and broken out their old box of Crayolas.

I like to think of my car, the Maxima, as being named after a gladiator.

Although I do try not to drive like I'm in the Arena.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home